Moraine Valley Community College || Academic Advising || Educational Planning Guide for Transfer Students

Educational Planning Guide for Transfer Students

Although four-year colleges and universities generally admit those who have earned an associate degree with junior standing, most require some specific general education courses as part of any major. To help make sure you've taken the necessary courses, we've created an Educational Planning Guide for you to follow. It is divided into three main sections.

  1. General Education Core
    (38 semester hours)—
    Composed of five categories: Communications, Mathematics, Life Science/Physical Science, Humanities and Fine Arts, and Social/Behavioral Sciences.
  2. Additional Degree Requirements
    (3 semester hours)—
    This is what distinguishes an Associate in Science degree from an Associate in Arts degree.
  3. Elective Courses
    (21 semester hours)—
    This is where courses that are needed for your specific major are included. According to your major and intended transfer institution, some of these courses may be additional general education courses beyond what fit in the general education core. Others may be major-specific courses; yet others may truly be "elective," meaning you get to choose. This is where the required one-credit-hour COL-101 course counts.

An academic advisor can assist you in determining the courses that are needed for your major at your intended transfer institution. Most colleges and universities now include detailed information and transfer guides for transfer students on their Web sites.

In addition to the categories above, please note the specific graduation requirements identified at the bottom of the Educational Planning Guide. Although students are generally encouraged to complete an A.A. or A.S. degree prior to transfer, the Moraine Valley General Education Core (38 semester hours) does meet the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum for those who plan to transfer prior to completion of a degree.

It is important to check with an academic advisor early and often during your college enrollment. There are specific courses that need to be completed in order to prepare you for transfer in your specific major. Although you are ultimately responsible for proper course selection, the academic advising team is always available to assist you.

Printable version of the Educational Planning Guide

Interactive Gen Ed Core Curriculum Guide through