Career Program Planning Tips
Moraine Valley offers a variety of certificates and Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees designed to prepare you for employment. The experience of completing a college certificate or A.A.S. degree is unique for each individual. You must balance the demands of college with the demands of life outside of college; therefore, your progress toward completion of the degree or certificate may be at a different pace than that of other students. Some programs require that you complete all courses in a specific sequence. The following tips are general guidelines for you to think about as you progress toward completion of your Moraine Valley certificate or Associate in Applied Science degree program.
First Semester or Completion of First 15 Credit Hours.
- Complete COL-101 course. This course is designed to help you make a successful transition to the college environment, and develop the skills and strategies necessary for success in college. As part of the course, you will participate in an educational planning session with an academic advisor.
- Contact an academic advisor if you still have questions about your educational plan after your COL-101 session.
- Learn the specific requirements for your intended certificate or degree. Additional information is available in the college catalog.
- Learn about college resources and publications. Numerous printed materials are available on campus.
- If you are transferring courses to Moraine Valley from another college, be sure to submit official transcripts and a Transcript Evaluation Request to the Admissions Office.
- If you are planning to enter a Health Science program that has special requirements for admission, make sure that you meet all application deadlines. An academic advisor can help you with this.
- Have fun! Get involved in campus activities or athletics. Get to know your instructors and other students on campus.
Second Semester or Completion of 15-30 Credit Hours
- Evaluate first-semester academic performance and seek assistance in areas where you need additional help.
- If you plan to earn a certificate at the end of this semester, you must petition EARLY in the semester. Deadlines are identified in the semester class schedule, but are generally February 1 for spring graduation (May), June 1 for summer graduation (August), and September 15 for fall graduation (December).
- If you are beginning to think about transferring following your stay at Moraine Valley, be sure to talk with an academic advisor. Because Career Programs are not designed to transfer, you will need to explore your options.
- Have more fun. Meet more students.
Third Semester or Completion of 30-45 Credit Hours
- Review your program completion status with an academic advisor. Ask for an academic progress report showing what courses you have completed and what courses you still have ahead of you.
- Inquire with your Career Program Coordinator about internship opportunities/requirements in your program of study. You may need to get an early start in seeking an internship site.
Fourth Semester or Completion of 45 Hours or more
- Petition to graduate at the Cashier's Office EARLY in the semester. Deadlines are identified in the class schedule, but are generally February 1 for spring graduation (May), June 1 for summer graduation (August), and September 15 for fall graduation (December).
- Register with the Job Resource Center. Staff can help you develop a resume, prepare for interviews and provide additional resources to assist in your job search.
- Celebrate your success at Moraine Valley Community College!