Now accepting applications for Fall 2015
- General Information about the Program
- Course Requirements and Suggested Schedule
- Admission Requirements
Respiratory Program Essential Functions
- All students must be able to perform the essential functions of the curriculum. In addition to the general admission criteria required by the college, respiratory students must be able to:
- Use digital fine motor skills with both hands continually throughout the day.
- See clearly enough to read hand-written and computer-generated communications.
- Work standing on their feet for the majority of the day.
- Walk to and from patient service areas of the hospital for the majority of the day.
- Help patients in and out of beds and chairs.
- Write and speak to patients and staff effectively.
- Interact appropriately with patients, physicians, peers and supervisor.
- Use good judgment to seek assistance when needed.
- Lift a minimum of 50 pounds unassisted and be able to push machines heavier than that up and down ramps.
- Apply safety and infection control standards learned in the program to maintain a safe and clean environment for patients and self.
Respiratory Program Mission
The mission of the Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program is to educate and train students to meet standards of practice for CRT entry and RRT advanced level practitioners. Faculty will use appropriate methodologies to promote student learning. Student learning will emerge from the cognitive (intellectual), psychomotor (physical), clinical and affective (social, emotional and ethical) elements of respiratory care as defined for the CRT entry-level and RRT advanced practitioners by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)* and the Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program Advisory Committee. Student learning will occur within an intellectual atmosphere that promotes continuing education as part of professional dedication and lifelong learning and within an ethical framework for student conduct in both the classroom and clinical settings.
Respiratory Program Outcomes
Four program outcomes (goals) have been identified for the Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program. The outcomes have been developed based on the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)* and the recommendations of the Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program Advisory Committee. The Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program will provide students with the following:
- Training in respiratory modalities of the profession
- Training in life support and ventilator management
- Prepare students for the Entry Level Respiratory Care National Board Exam (CRT)
- Prepare students for the Advanced Practitioner Respiratory Care National Board Exam (RRT)
Program Accreditation Respiratory Care
The Moraine Valley Community College Respiratory Therapy Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
1248 Harwood Rd
Bedford Texas 76021