English Language Learner
- Are you an English Language Learner interested in enrolling in academic English classes?
- Did you graduate from a foreign high school, college, or university where instruction was primarily given in a language other than English?
- Were you previously enrolled in an American high school bilingual/ESL program?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions and you are a community resident, then you can seek advising services from the English Language Learner Center in the Student Services Building, S201.
The ELL Center provides advice for English language learners (ELLs) who seek academic English instruction.
Additional important information available at the ELL Center, Building S, Room S201, or (708) 974-5475.
IELP (Intensive English Language Program) Advising
Instructions for taking the Compass/ESL test
English Skill Support Resources
Foreign Credential Evaluation Information
Cultural Scholarship Information
Access to all Activities and Programs Sponsored by Multicultural Student Affairs Contacts
Improve your English skills using these websites.
- EnglishPage.com provides lessons on grammar and vocabulary.
- Real English® is a free open source site ideal for blended learning: original videos, interactive lessons, an English teacher always present to help you, and a community of teachers & students learning together.
- Common Errors in English Usage the aim of this site is to help you avoid low grades, lost employment opportunities, lost business, and titters of amusement at the way you write or speak.
- Grammar Monster provides solutions to common grammar errors.
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University houses writing resources and instructional material, and we provide these as a free service of the Writing Lab at Purdue. Students, members of the community, and users worldwide will find information to assist with many writing projects.
- Writing Den—Learn about writing sentences, paragraphs, and essays on different topics
- Online Spelling Lessonshttp://a4esl.orgFollow directions to listen, spell, check and correct words.
- ESL Links—activities for learning English
- Visual Dictionary Online is an all-in-one reference. Search the themes to quickly locate words, or find the meaning of a word by viewing the image it represents.
- EnglishClub.com helps you learn English. Lessons for learners including fun pages like games, videos, quizzes and chats.
- Voice of America has been broadcasting programs in Special English since 1959. Special English is VOA’s method of communicating with English learners around the world in a way that is easy to understand. The vocabulary is limited to about 1,500 words. The sentences are short and the speed is slower than normal.
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL—Quizzes, tests, exercises and puzzles to help you learn English as a Second Language (ESL).This project of The Internet TESL Journal (iteslj.org) has thousands of contributions by many teachers.
ESL.net—great ESL links to additional resources.
Moraine Valley Library Resources
- Go to the Moraine Valley Library website
- Once on the library page, click on Resource Tools Page
- Under Subject and Class Guides find English 2nd Language
- Click on English 2nd Language and review English Language Resources
• See Dual- Language Dictionaries
• See High Interest Low Vocabulary books
• See other English Language resources
English Language Learner Specialist (708) 608-4349
English Language Learner Specialist (708) 608-4346
Aurora M. Zwick, M.B.A.
Manger of the English Language Learner Center (708) 974-5487